1968 Gibson Barney Kessel Archtop w/HSC $1800

vibramute
Top Producer

1968 Gibson Barney Kessel Archtop w/HSC $1800

Postby vibramute » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:45 pm

Definitely not a Mosrite, but I thought I'd see if anybody wants a fairly rare Gibson for a great price.

1968 Barney Kessel standard electric guitar with a nice strong cherry sunburst and a great flamey back. Serial number 899097. NO breaks, neck resets or headstock repairs. The guitar is a player grade instrument with a few changed parts. With mostly original examples currently fetching $3,500-5,000 this is the one to own as you can actually gig with it and not worry. An excellent jazz, blues, even rock guitar. Plays wonderfully and has a super fast, skinny neck and original frets. Pots, switch, jack, and pickups are original. The original tuners are long gone but have been replaced vintage correct reproductions (nickel Kluson Wafflebacks, $150 a set). The bridge is a nickel Gotoh on an Ebony base. Missing the pickguard. Has plenty of weather checking, nicks and dings as to be expected from a well played, 44 year old instrument. One tight crack on the side of the guitar in the bass side cutaway (in the 5 years I've had the guitar, the crack has remained stable, fixing it would only be for cosmetic reasons). Has one small piece of binding replaced on the treble side of the neck at the 10th fret (a pro job, doesn't effect any playablity). The hardshell case is certainly old and looks correct to the guitar but with no Gibson badging to be found, I'll label it as: "vintage-period correct, but non original".

Please PM me with any questions. Additional pictures available on request.

$1,845 via Paypal includes shipping within the US.

*You can check out my 100% selling feedback on Ebay by searching seller vibramute64

vibramute
Top Producer

Re: 1968 Gibson Barney Kessel Archtop w/HSC $1800- SOLD

Postby vibramute » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:47 pm

SOLD!

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: 1968 Gibson Barney Kessel Archtop w/HSC $1800

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Wow, that was fast! No surprise, though - a good deal on a very cool guitar. Congrats on the sale.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

vibramute
Top Producer

Postby vibramute » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:00 pm

MWaldorf wrote:Wow, that was fast! No surprise, though - a good deal on a very cool guitar. Congrats on the sale.

Thanks Mel! It was actually traded for a '63 Sidejack RI with Nokie's autograph. As much as I needed some fast cash, I just couldn't pass up having a bound sunburst Mosrite signed by a Venture 8-)

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:21 pm

Cool trade! Looks right at home with the Deke Dickerson model and the Vox.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Diggey

Postby Diggey » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:18 pm

In my best Star Wars Jedi trick attempt....... "This is not the Deke you are looking for"................... then you say, "This is not the Deke I am looking for"........................... then I say, "you will sell your Deke to me for some quick cash"....... and then you say..........................

vibramute
Top Producer

Postby vibramute » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:25 pm

Diggey wrote:In my best Star Wars Jedi trick attempt....... "This is not the Deke you are looking for"................... then you say, "This is not the Deke I am looking for"........................... then I say, "you will sell your Deke to me for some quick cash"....... and then you say..........................

I'm pretty attached, but like the old saying goes "everything has a price". You can PM me an offer. It was bought directly from Deke and is autographed by him on the back of the headstock.

vibramute
Top Producer

Postby vibramute » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:31 pm

Diggey,

If we can't get together on the Deke Signature, please know I'm trying to raise some money to buy your Red Silver and Blue Hallmark (I've been drooling over it since you listed it). Maybe if we make a deal on the R/S/B it will get you a little closer to being able to get yourself a Deke. ;)

Diggey

deke

Postby Diggey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:44 pm

sugar............ I just bought a Deke from Bob Shade! Make me an offer on the R/S/B................. I'd have traded you in a haertbeat. Did you just sell this deke on emay?

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:32 pm

Coincidence - I just bought the Deke on eBay yesterday. Been waiting for one to come up for a while.
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

Return to “For Sale”