Standel Custom - 82L15V

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Standel Custom - 82L15V

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:10 pm

I just got this Standel amp - a local craigslist deal. The model number is 82L15V, and the faceplate says "Custom transistorized". Two channels, normal and vibrato, each with volume, contour, treble and bass, and speed and intensity on the vibrato channel. It's a hybrid amp, with a solid state pre amp and a tube phase inverter and power amp. It's got the dreaded potted modules, and sadly the vibrato doesn't work. The guy I got it from bought it from his guitar teacher in the 60s.

So, Standel mavens - what do you know about this amp? I couldn't find any schematics for it, or whether replacement / work-around vibrato modules are available. What are those power tubes? I couldn't see any tube model on them.

The speaker is a beautiful JBL D-130F, 16 ohms. The vibrato channel sounds a bit weak, and the vibrato doesn't work, but the normal channel sounds pretty much great. It's not particularly loud, but it doesn't break up, even with all the controls dimed.

Blah, blah. Enough with the writing - here are the pictures!

Front view - so pretty. The faceplate lights up from the sides!

Model and Serial number

Rear view, with top panel removed. The courtesy plug has been removed, though I have the mounting plate.

What are these tubes?

Cap can

Guts. Notice the modules. The one on the left is stamped Sept 1962

More guts. The vibrato module is the second from the left (I think).
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

thunderhead
Top Producer

Re: Standel Custom - 82L15V

Postby thunderhead » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:19 am

Man, I love the Looks of that Amp!!!! 8-)
Click on logo to visit website

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:26 am

Mel, don't have much to say but that she is indeed very pretty. Cosmetically this amp is still in great shape -considering it's age ...:shock:
Those pictures are great. Congrats and have fun in your endeavour to get it towards 100% original operating status ;)

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:46 am

That looks like a great old amp. How are these old Standel amps for sound? How do they compare to a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, for example?
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:55 am

Thanks gang! Sound wise - it's a big clean sound. I had all the controls on 10 and there was little loss of clarity. As far as I know, these are about 25 Watts, so it's not going to replace my Showman anytime soon. However, for small venues or around the house, it's plenty. I know Deke is a big proponent of Standel amps, but I think he mainly uses the 50s models. Hopefully he'll chime in here.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dnepr

Postby Dnepr » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:10 am

The Hybrids are great amps. I contacted the seller about this one, but apparently you beat me to it! The tubes are probably 6GT5s. They are easy to find in the vintage TV circles, a little scarce for vintage guitar amps. The good news is that since they weren't really used very often in audio only circuits, the design tolerances of your amp will allow you to put just about and pair in there. Matching is not an issue in other words...
The epoxied modules are the biggest problem with these amps. If one goes south, then you have to replace it. Just go to Guitar Center and get a new one, right? Actually the guys at the New Standel may have schematics for this model, but you'll probably have to improvise.
You got a good deal on the amp though. The same model just sold on Ebay for $100 more, without a JBL in it.
This amp should be pretty loud, and should stay very clean until just about maxxed...

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

Postby Deke Dickerson » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:39 am

Hey Mel--

I know you emailed me about this amp but I can't remember what, if anything, got discussed.

The tubes are 6DQ6 or 6DQ6A tubes. Bob Crooks (the guy who made these amps) told me that he bought 100,000 of these tubes at an auction for 100 bucks and designed an amplifier circuit around them. The tubes are still easily found at Antique Electronic Supply for about 4 bucks each.

I had a hybrid too and your description was just like mine--sounded great, totally clean, not that loud even when you cranked it.

Did I give you Danny McKinney's contact info at the new Standel company? I believe he can still be reached at danmckinney@earthlink.net He definitely has some of the potted module schematics, so he can probably hook you up with a schematic for the vibrato module.

Good score man!

Deke

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:28 am

Thanks Deke, I'll contact Danny about the module. Dnepr, I actually got this baby for $400; he was asking $500, but with the missing courtesy jack and non-functioning vibrato, he was willing to accept my offer.

So, any idea what the phase inverter tube is?

Deke, do you remember, was the vibrato channel substantially quieter than the normal channel?

Even if I don't get the vibrato to work, it's a cool amp. Plus, it sure looks nice with a Mosrite!

Dnepr

Postby Dnepr » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:50 am

If I remember correctly, the Vib channel on mine was similar in volume to the normal.
Mine amp was pretty loud though, not as loud as a twin but about the same as a Deluxe.

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

Postby Deke Dickerson » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:01 pm

Yeah, it's been too long since I had mine, I can't remember about the volume levels....But for 400 bucks you basically got the amp for 150 bucks, since those JBL D130's are going for 250 bucks these days....good score.

Deke

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”