Baritones

ElTwang
Top Producer

Baritones

Postby ElTwang » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:58 am

Anyone got and use a Baritone-guitar on regular basis? What options are there out there?
I've recorded with a reissue Danelectro U2 baritone once and it sounded really good.

We're going to buy one for the band.

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Re: Baritones

Postby Strat-o-rama » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:06 am

I've wanted a baritone too. Check it out:

http://www.danelectro.com/bari_gold.html

Compared to the Fender Bass VI coming out of the Custom shop, a very fair price. Maybe someday Dano will reissue the double neck with a standatrd and bari neck. I think they did at one point, but they seem to be very hard to find.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:42 am

How many songs would you be using the Baritone on? Are there enough songs to substantiate that it is worth purchasing
such an instrument?? The few tunes that I might be able to use it on, I get away with a Boss OC-2 (Octave Divider) adjusted
so it will only play the Octave below.....I know it's not EXACTLY the same in tone, but the 2 or 3 times I use the pedal, tells me
it just isn't worth bringing another instrument (which would be a 3rd inst.) to the Gig. :roll:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:14 am

Yeah, those Danos are sure pretty. The baritone project is going to be an experiment out in halfway guitar - halfway bass kinda instrumentation and see way more action than the usual 2 or 3 cool riffs. The Boss suggestion.....hmmm, I dunno. Maybe worth a try.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:21 am

ElTwang wrote:Yeah, those Danos are sure pretty. The baritone project is going to be an experiment out in halfway guitar - halfway bass kinda instrumentation and see way more action than the usual 2 or 3 cool riffs. The Boss suggestion.....hmmm, I dunno. Maybe worth a try.

Remember Folks, the OC-2 is not for Everyone, so if you have any kind of 'FX' allergy,
if you experience symptoms of hearing loss, or have trouble playing certain riffs,
you may want to check with your Local Physician :mrgreen: .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Damon67

Postby Damon67 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:13 pm

I'm looking to get an acoustic baritone eventually. I do know several people that have them and use them quite regularly. There's a baritone version of my Adamas 2080 that I'd love to have, but it's a special order and tons of $.

It looks like this but longer neck:

My Guitars
Bellevue,WA

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:10 am

Baritones are kinda making a comeback in roots music circles. Dave Gonzalez from the Hacienda Brothers is playing one now for about half their set. James Wilsey's CD "Eldorado" features some great baritone work: a cross between Twin Peaks and Duane Eddy.
How about a Mosrite double neck clone with a baritone neck: Joe Maphis and tick tack on the same guitar. :lol:

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:32 am

Strat-o-rama wrote:How about a Mosrite double neck clone with a baritone neck: Joe Maphis and tick tack on the same guitar. :lol:

Yes please ;-) !

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:51 pm

I've owned a few baritones - a 90s MIJ Fender Bass VI, a Dano 6 string bass, and a recent Fender Jaguar Baritone. I modified the Jag bari extensively to "VI-ify" it - Jag style vibrato, middle pickup and thin switch. It was a nice instrument, which I tuned B-B and used at gigs for a 6-7 song mini set. I use the past tense because it was stolen at a gig earlier this year. I've replaced it for gig use with an Electro-Harmonix POG. It's fine but not twangy like the real deal. I've still got the Dano 6, it sounds good but is neck heavy and I don't take it to gigs.

Here's the Jag baritone shortly before it went away:
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:43 am

Nice guitar, Mel. Sorry to hear it got stolen.
What I like about the Danos is that they have their own special sound going on although I'm sure a Jag Baritone like the one you had would be more versatile.

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”