Ventures II pickup anatomized

JimPage
Top Producer

Re: Ventures II pickup anatomized

Postby JimPage » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:17 am

Super interesting! I bet those segmented magnets are the same ones that Bob Shade has several bricks of.

That isn't at all how I visualized the inside of that pickup. SInce my 1972 Celebrity III has no pole pieces, I guess that's what in my pickups.

Is this forum fascinating or WHAT?!?!?!?!?

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:20 am

JimPage wrote:Super interesting! I bet those segmented magnets are the same ones that Bob Shade has several bricks of.

That isn't at all how I visualized the inside of that pickup. SInce my 1972 Celebrity III has no pole pieces, I guess that's what in my pickups.

Is this forum fascinating or WHAT?!?!?!?!?

--Jim

I know! Such cool stuff. Seriously though, the information I read here surpasses any other forum I've belonged to.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

maxkat

Postby maxkat » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:48 am

REALLY interesting would be a dismantled Ventures II slab body pickup or somebody knowing it's construction or resistance – my guess is it's the same like the no polepieces Ventures II/Celebrity pickups with less windings or only one magnet inside the bobbin, but who knows, perhaps they are remainders of another manufacturer... There must be a reason why they are narrower and sound different (and have been cheaper, then)...
Cheers, Max

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:15 am

Pickups have always been a fascinating part of guitars for me. I've taken a few dead ones apart, just to see what makes them "tick" but after watching this forum, I just might have to break down and build a pickup winder... Anybody got a chunk of hours they can spare me? I always have too little day left at the end of all the fun things I want to get done! ;)
Olrocknroller

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:25 am

olrocknroller wrote:I just might have to break down and build a pickup winder...

This would be a great topic for the forum. I would love to see a chronicle on building a winder or at least a detailed narrative on one. Especially the counter. Hey oigun! ;)
Danny Ellison

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:30 am

First off, Max, thank you for these photos. They're a great look into the guts of another version of the Mosrite pickup. Perhaps before you are done, you can post dimensions of all the parts.

Dub: Building a simple winder from scratch is pretty easy, I've built two. For the counter, I ended up using a surplus workout stair stepper machine counter that used a reed switch and a magnet. The first one I built 30 years ago, with the help of my father-in-law, who was a machinist. He could make all of the right pieces that I couldn't find. The second one I built was a gift for a friend that wanted to wind some pickups. It was built from commonly available hardware store stuff and a motor and speed controller bought on-line.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:54 am

Now someone just needs to post instructions and photos on how assemble it all and to make work.

Back in the mid 60s my brother build a pickup winder with a sewing machine motor and an odometer from a car speedometer. I've read online about various counters being used for a homemade winder but without photos and an a detailed 'how to' I simply can't figure it out.
Danny Ellison

maxkat

Postby maxkat » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:57 am

Hi Olrocknroller and Danny,

I guess you won't need more than a sewing machine, even the pros seem to rely on them...:
http://fillmore-mosrite.jp/blog/74image_08.jpg (sorry, embedding the picture doesn't work.)
(This and more pictures can be found here: http://fillmore-mosrite.jp/blog/2010/09/30/1459.html)

The counter can be done with a reed switch and an old hand calculator, or with a mechanic counter attached to the sewing foot like Dana Moseley gets her windings counted. A great video on how to do a pickup yourself can be found here:

Cheers, Max

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:57 am

maxkat wrote:Found my compass: north-pole is UP.

Can you post a photo with the compass, so we can have an idea of what we will see. Or are you pulling our chain ?
Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

vetovideo

Postby vetovideo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:04 am

Max .... what a GREAT instructional video! Even a dope like me can follow!!! Thanks!

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”