Gigged with MIJ Mosrite and Custom Vibrolux

64sunburst
Top Producer

Gigged with MIJ Mosrite and Custom Vibrolux

Postby 64sunburst » Tue May 19, 2009 3:06 pm

I really wanted to have pics of the gig to go along with this but I didn't get any. Anyway, our surf band played a gig last Friday and instead of playing my Dipinto Galaxie 4 as my main axe, I ended up using the MIJ Mosrite most of the night. It was also my first gig with my new/old Custom Vibrolux Reverb amp (blonde tolex and green jewel lamp). I think I'll have to make my Mosrite my #1 guitar after that night. That guitar sounded phenomenal thru the Vibrolux. I mean it sounded good before, but it sounded great this time. Veenture, I think you and I both made a wise choice in buying a Custom Vibrolux. Some people don't like 'em but I think they are great. Anyway, just wanted to mention how stoked I was with the Mosrite/Vibrolux combination. In fact, when I played Los Straitjacket's "Pacifica" I thought it sounded better on the Mosrite than on the Dipinto.
:D
Byron

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: Gigged with MIJ Mosrite and Custom Vibrolux

Postby MWaldorf » Tue May 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Glad to hear the gig went well! As for the CVR, most complaints are in comparison to the reissue Vibroverb it replaced. Personally I think they're fine amps with the exception of the reverb level. Of course, drop a reverb tank out front and that's a non-issue!

Apparently it's possible to turn them into Vibroverbs without too much difficulty (though it looked beyond my skill level) : http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/99305-vibroverb-v-vibrolux.html#post1131436
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue May 19, 2009 3:55 pm

I was trying to find that info Mel, as I had it saved but lost it in my multiple computer crashes a couple of months ago.

I have a '63 reissue Vibroverb that I purchased new when they first came out back in '91. It is a great amp with some kick 'A' punch for medium club venues, especially as a blues amp. When I was gigging with some surfer guy's from the Surf Guitar 101 forum, I was using my '65 Bandmaster and the rhythm guitar player was using my Vibroverb. He fell in love with it. I rarely use either of them anymore since I'm not playing with any groups now, so all I ever play through is my kit built Tweed Deluxe 5E3 that I built a couple of years ago. I do have an outboard tank that I built as well as a pedal board, so I get just about all the sounds I need.

If I didn't have the Vibroverb, I'd go with the Vibrolux and make the Vibroverb modifications or better yet, I'd just get a Princeton Reverb reissue for home use.
Danny Ellison

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Wed May 20, 2009 1:36 am

64sunburst wrote:...Veenture, I think you and I both made a wise choice in buying a Custom Vibrolux. Some people don't like 'em but I think they are great. Anyway, just wanted to mention how stoked I was with the Mosrite/Vibrolux combination.
Well, a ’63 (vintage) blackface Vibrolux Reverb is always preferable of course but as my dad would always say: “you can still dance at a wedding even if you don’t get to dance with the bride”. I agree with you that the Mosrite and Vibrolux make a great team! (Hallmark in my case).
Nice feedback Byron, generating interesting reactions too ;)

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Wed May 20, 2009 6:01 am

Byron, interesting comment about 'Pacifica'. I prefer the sound of my Hallmark 60 over my Strats for playing this song. In general, for the surf/garage type stuff I play, I have been preferring the Hallmark overall. Strats are still good for blues though.
At the Fender Discussion Page some of the amp gurus have detailed accounts of mods they do to the Custom Vibrolux that gives it more clean headroom and quiets them down. Because there is no negative feedback loop, they tend to hiss. A lot of the guys change out the speakers for a greatly improved tone, but again which speakers they prefer is totally subjective.
Sigh...I do miss gigging.....

64sunburst
Top Producer

Postby 64sunburst » Wed May 20, 2009 1:16 pm

At the Fender Discussion Page some of the amp gurus have detailed accounts of mods they do to the Custom Vibrolux that gives it more clean headroom and quiets them down. Because there is no negative feedback loop, they tend to hiss. A lot of the guys change out the speakers for a greatly improved tone, but again which speakers they prefer is totally subjective.
Byron, interesting comment about 'Pacifica'. I prefer the sound of my Hallmark 60 over my Strats for playing this song. In general, for the surf/garage type stuff I play, I have been preferring the Hallmark overall. Strats are still good for blues though.

Strat-o-rama, I've read up on the mods for the CVR and about the lack of negative feedback loop, but honestly,I don't find the amp any more noisy than any other amp I've played. SO far I like what I hear, so I'll keep it as is. The amp may not be completely stock, as my amp tech said he thought there had been some mods done. The amp had a feed back problem with the reverb when I got it but my tech fixed it and a few other things.

The Mosrite is not only an eye-pleaser, but is a very ergonomically comfortable guitar to play in spite of the skinny neck. The Dipinto is a good guitar, but nowhere as sexy as or as comfortable as the Mosrite. And it amazes me how the Mosrite can have enough twang and yet sound full at the upper end. This really is the guitar I've been searching for all along. I definitely want a 2nd Mosrite, but haven't decided on whether to get a Hallmark, an Elliot, or a Dana Mosely equiped Fillmore....so many choices!......well realistically a Hallmark is more in my dollar balllpark though.

Hey, and about gigging - I only get to gig about every other month :cry: I share your pain.

Byron

Return to “Members' Music and Gigs”