Deke's Guitar Geek Festival

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Re: Deke's Guitar Geek Festival

Postby KRamone27 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:04 pm

Hey Mosriteforever, do you have any information on the hallmark 2? As far as specs and price and more pics on it? Thanks, Kevin

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

Postby Deke Dickerson » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:12 pm

To answer the questions--I'm here for ya! Ask away!

Those pickups on Larry's guitar were similar to some he had done for Joe & Larry in the 60's. They had a hand carved wooden base with a flat piece of plastic on the top to hold the pickup in (some were all wood, like the ones on Damon's doubleneck posted here on the forum). Larry has had a bunch of pickups in there, including the originals Semie wound, some Carvin's that Carvin gave him from their last batches of coils, and the ones in there now are some that Seymour Duncan wound for him. I'm trying to get him to go back to some of the Hallmark JM-6 copies of the Carvin as I think the Seymours are a little overwound.

And about the "Poon-Tang" doubleneck, that was made by a kid named Gregg Coddington, who is the son of hot rod builder Boyd Coddington. Gregg made the guitar out of some parts he had lying around and a new body, and then painted it metalflake green in the Coddington auto shop. Then he gave it to me and disappeared! I thought he would be there at this year's fest but he didn't show up.

Deke

brutus
Top Producer

Postby brutus » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:36 pm

Hey Deke
thanks for all the answers and info. btw i 'm not surprised that the all combo live Ventures album sounded good.. but i'm bias The combo is a one trick pony but it is a heck of a trick. thanks again

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:59 pm

...yeah, great pics! gives an idea of the show if you couldn't attend like me.
I also like the picture of the man (Deke?) playing a blond Telecaster, not to mention that typically 'Ventures album cover model' :!: 8-)

mosriteforever

Postby mosriteforever » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:29 pm

Hi all,
I know we sent some Hallmark pickups like the ones in the Deke model to Larry, I can't remember if he said those were on currently or if he was using the Seymor Duncans he got. I think they were the Hallmarks, but we did not install them. We will be in Chicago this weekend at the Autorama show with George Barris. I thought that was next week, but my bad, I almost have my laundry done from California.

Film at eleven forever!!!!!

mosriteforever

Postby mosriteforever » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:34 pm

I forgot, The Hallmark II (Sheena model) will be in production soon. We have not gotten the pricing down yet, but I am confident it will be less than $1000. Probably less than the 60 custom. The Gruggett/Hallmark sidejack, is an example of the kind of custom work we can do along with the custom doublenecks. The prices vary according to what you want, but all options are open!!!!

Gruggett Forever!!!

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:39 pm

mosriteforever posted:
The Gruggett/Hallmark sidejack, is an example of the kind of custom work we can do along with the custom doublenecks.

John, any chance the Hallmark Cases for the Doublenecks would hold a
12/6 Mosrite, or are these pre-molded on the inside only for the Hallmark?
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

gplayer
Top Producer

Postby gplayer » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:45 pm

mosriteforever wrote: The Gruggett/Hallmark sidejack, is an example of the kind of custom work we can do along with the custom doublenecks. Gruggett Forever!!!

Besides the obvious of a Bill Gruggett build, what are the differences between that guitar and the production models. Such as: different woods? different hardware?, different pickups? different specs?...etc?

Texasbob

Postby Texasbob » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:41 am

Dennisthe Menace wrote:mosriteforever posted:
The Gruggett/Hallmark sidejack, is an example of the kind of custom work we can do along with the custom doublenecks.

John, any chance the Hallmark Cases for the Doublenecks would hold a
12/6 Mosrite, or are these pre-molded on the inside only for the Hallmark?

:o OOH OOH OOH! I need one too!! :o
If it hasn't been done before, there's a reason why.

mosriteforever

Postby mosriteforever » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:45 am

Hey all.
The Gruggett Hallmark was ordered before I started working for Hallmark. I do know that Bill built it the way he builds the 63 style for other people with the exception of the Shade tailpiece and bridge. I suspect he wound the pickups as well. The guitar he built for me is a gem. When I 1st got it, I played it for over 3 hrs and didn't realize how much time had passed! We are off to the Autorama show in Chicago tomorrow AM so I will check back in when I can!

Gruggetts Forever!!

Return to “Members' Music and Gigs”