The Thunderheads CDs

dubtrub
Administrator

The Thunderheads CDs

Postby dubtrub » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:29 pm

If you guy's enjoy the Ventures music from the sixties then you will enjoy the sounds form our forums very own 'The Thunderheads'. I just received two CDs, Live at Bikini Beach and Shark Attack, by these guys and man they do an excellent cover job of the Ventures 60's music with a little bit of their own flavor. If you haven't heard them, you can check out their music on MySpace. Support our local forum family musicians and get a copy of their CDs, they are well worth it.
Danny Ellison

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: The Thunderheads CDs

Postby Veenture » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:30 am

I know…still waiting for the arrival of mine. Yeah we’ve got some excellent musicians here on our very own forum and one of the very cool surf bands here too is our own Craig Skelly’s "The Breakaways": http://www.thebreakaways.com (I’ve already ordered 3 cd’s :) )

Oh,…the idea has just hit me to compile a list of “all our bands” represented here (+ weblinks)…all those in favour?... :roll:

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:59 am

I feel like a fish out of water here as it seams I may be the only classic country player here. Huh..... but it is music being played on a Mosrite, can't be all bad.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:19 am

Hey, Jim--

>>I may be the only classic country player here . . .

Nope; I would consider myself a classic country player, though my most recent band was a Bakersfield country ensemble, and the fellows I play with now are more Crosby, Still, and Nash than anything else.

Now, when I say classic country, I am thinking Carter Family, Jimmie Rodgers, Hank Williams, Sr, George Jones, Ernest Tubb, Roger Miller. Those are my heroes for that kind of music.

It's all good!

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:32 am

The Carter Family and Jimmy Rodgers might be a bit far back for us but The Bakersfield sound is right there. I love Buck Owens as well as Merle Haggard. We cover from the early 60's to the mid 80's I would say. We could do at least 3 four hour shows without repeating a song. I love the early 60's rock music and started playing that but couldn't make any money so I started to play country and have had fun from then on.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:24 am

Veenture wrote:I know…still waiting for the arrival of mine. Yeah we’ve got some excellent musicians here on our very own forum and one of the very cool surf bands here too is our own Craig Skelly’s "The Breakaways": http://www.thebreakaways.com (I’ve already ordered 3 cd’s :) )

Oh,…the idea has just hit me to compile a list of “all our bands” represented here (+ weblinks)…all those in favour?... :roll:

....just a sidenote....love Craig's SG Jazzmaster! ;) .....
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

thunderhead
Top Producer

Postby thunderhead » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:46 pm

sleeperNY wrote:The Carter Family and Jimmy Rodgers might be a bit far back for us but The Bakersfield sound is right there. I love Buck Owens as well as Merle Haggard. We cover from the early 60's to the mid 80's I would say. We could do at least 3 four hour shows without repeating a song. I love the early 60's rock music and started playing that but couldn't make any money so I started to play country and have had fun from then on.

Jim

WOW, I'm from Bristol TN. The Birth Place of Country Music. The Carter Family and Jimmy Rogers recorded for Ralph Peer in 1927 just 3 Blocks from my House. I also Love Country Music, especially Buck Owens. A connection to Surf music is here also, believe it or not. The Ventures Drummer Mel Taylor was From here {Johnson City, 20 Miles south} and his son and current Ventures Drummer Leon also. The Ventures book has a great picture of a Hillbilly Band Mel was in {playing Guitar!!!!} around here and there is a short mention of Bristol in the Book. Funny how Music quit being "regional" after the Rock-n-Roll explosion in the 1950's. Thanks from The Thunderheads for all the support on this wonderful forum. :D
Click on logo to visit website

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:29 pm

Hey--

So Bristol is that close to Johnson City? Did not know that. Best pizza I've ever had was, believe it or not, in the Pizza Hut in Johnson City. I don't even like Pizza Hut as a rule, but there was something special going on at that place.

The 1927 Bristol sessions are the Big Bang of country music, without a doubt. I have always been fascinated by the event. Been meaning to order the Bristol Sessions book and CD but keep getting sidetracked.

It must be great to live in such a meaningful-to-music area. I understand that the hat factory where the sessions occured has been torn down. Too bad; what an historic place!!!

Do they have any sites of musical interest there nowadays?

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone

thunderhead
Top Producer

Postby thunderhead » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:42 am

The old homeplace of AP Carter called "The Carter Fold is still having Music every weekend. The Down Home Pickin' Parlor in Johnson City is a very special place. Tons of pickers here and lots of bands. The building the sessions were at was torn down years ago. Speaking of Country Pickers and Mosrite, how about Buck Trent with Porter Wagoner. Man what a great picker. He played a Pearl White Ventures and later Celebrity's and Maphis's. :ugeek:
Click on logo to visit website

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:03 am

I'll have to check out Buck Trent. I love those old Porter Wagoner records, but didn't know who the picker was. So many of those players are SO gifted.

The lead guitar player in that Bakersfield band I was in had a wide vocabulary of those great Bakersfield licks. I played rhythm on an old (1936) Slingerland Nite Hawk archtop and it really fit well in that type of music.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone

Return to “Members' Music and Gigs”