"The Jazz Funeral EP"

sloop_john_b

"The Jazz Funeral EP"

Postby sloop_john_b » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:04 pm

The Jazz Funeral is my band; this is our very first release - a self-titled EP. It was "officially" released back on the 28th via a release show right here in Staten Island, NY.

You can download it here for free (site looks kind of crummy right now), the link is right on the main page. If you want to buy a physical CD ($7 shipped), shoot me a PM.

The EP was recently reviewed in the Staten Island Advance:

Out of some weird wooded area of Staten Island, The Jazz Funeral marches. Singer John Biscuti's alt-country and folk songs, drawn along by acoustic guitars, banjo and familiar chord changes, appear at first well crafted but unremarkable. Then you start to listen to the lyrics, and things get pretty interesting. On "Pulling off The Wings," a pretty dark love song, Biscuti wavers "went down to the Jersey shore, caught a cancerous tan/ melenoma face brough such a chill/ if the smokes don't kill me I guess that old sun will." The last song mentions New York City master-builder Robert Moses. Good instrumental moments reveal themselves as well on subsequent listens. "Entry-Level Blues," maybe the best cut of the five musically, starts out as a regular 12-bar tune then busts into some sort of Beatlesesque (or perhaps Dr. Dogesque?) set of harmonies and saloon rock and drunken bop bop bopb badadada-ing. "Jolene of the South Shore," gets points for the romantic local reference and for the slide guitar solo too, proving The Jazz Funeral just might be one of the most unique new bands on Staten Island.

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: "The Jazz Funeral EP"

Postby dubtrub » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:11 pm

Nice arrangements. Funny that the music doesn't seem to fit how you look in your Avatar. You sound...........uh, so much younger. :lol:
Danny Ellison

sloop_john_b

Re: "The Jazz Funeral EP"

Postby sloop_john_b » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:26 pm

dubtrub wrote:Nice arrangements. Funny that the music doesn't seem to fit how you look in your Avatar. You sound...........uh, so much younger. :lol:

Not only do I sound younger, I was also never New York City's arterial coordinator! :lol:

Thanks for the compliment, glad you liked. :)

Return to “Members' Music and Gigs”