No return ....?

Dennisthe Menace

Re: No return ....?

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:26 pm

Desert Surfer wrote:
dubtrub wrote:Hey Mosman,

Is the back of the neck on your black '71 painted black or is it natural and clear coated?

I have a '66 that is all black but the neck was stripped and clear coated natural. It looks alright but it not original to the guitar. Actually the entire guitar was refinished in black before I acquired it. I just haven't decided whether to keep it black or go with a sunburst refin (again).

Restore to the original finish..that's my vote.

Danny, I agree with what Vincent said. However, if you refinish the guitar to the original finish, then the original finish on the guitar still won't be the original finish...... :shock: ......Well, what I'm trying to say is, you got 2 or 3 Sunbursts already, right?
Unless you are planning to give "the 'Burst Brothers" out there in Hollywood Guitar Center a run for their money, I would probably go a different direction as....another Project :mrgreen: . What about maybe redoing it as a "Dub Special?" Refin the guitar maybe in a Liquid Pearl Black, in which you do the back of the Neck in Natural, but the back of the Headstock would match the Front in Black as well as the Body. Now we'll have 3 guitars (that we know of) with matching front and back Headstocks :mrgreen: . BUT!!! You also will have a "Tuxedo Edition" with the Black body and White Pickguard, something that Gibson always 'pushed' on their Les Paul Customs ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:38 pm

My family :D

Not all are Mosrites, but I love them all the same :D

[Image]
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

mosman
Top Producer

Postby mosman » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:17 am

And what a beautiful family it is.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:45 am

SWEET! ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:05 pm

thanks guys. my johnny ramone mosrite is a japanese model prototype from the 1990's. no serial number. I replaced the cheapo generic minihumbucker in the neck position with the real thing, a seymour duncan, and I replaced the dimarizo fat strat pickup with a rio grande babybucker. I also added mosrite of japan spin knobs (repro's from the 65 mosrite period) and added volume and tone for each pickup. on other feature, I added push-pull knobs on the volumes for coil taps, since the original ventures 2 slab body models were single coils.
the TV yellow epiphone LP custom, I refinished as well, it was originally white. :D

Cheers,
Aaron

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:35 pm

Just curious, but why do you say your Johnny Ramone is a prototype?

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:56 am

The first run of these were made at the end the the last ramones tours, this is when this one was made, before fillmore was making "official" mosrites. mid 90's.
Cheers,
Aaron

— Mark Twain

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”